Thousands of Social media consultants seem to have sprung up overnight almost in fact as the plague of poor search engine optimization consultants is ending so the rise of poor quality social media consultants seem to be rising. Mainly because businesses now understand the importance of social media within their marketing mix and the demand for good social media consultants currently far out strips the supply.
Typical consultants will typically tell a business what they need to do, rather than perform the tasks themselves, social media consultants on the other hand, often help perform the tasks that need to be done.
Basic Skills a Social Media Consultant Needs
Good organization skills
If you work for several businesses, you’ll need a system in place to help you keep everything organized and so that you know what needs to happen and when. Consider using a system like Basecamp or similar to help you organized.
The ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people from your clients who may not speak “social media” to contractors that you hire to do the work, and not forgetting the clients end audience, will be necessary to make everything run smoothly.
Excellent Understanding of social media technology
It’s imperative to stay on the cutting edge of social media technology in terms of social media platforms themselves, as well as the applications that make it easier to use them. Plus, understanding the intricacies of each network helps, you maximize your time and often the effectiveness of your campaigns.
Excellent Knowledge of online marketing
While a general knowledge of marketing is essential to succeed as a social media consultant, having a particular understanding of social media marketing will get help you become the go to expert.
Experience in creating or having created SEO Content
Original content makes the internet go round, and it’s no different for social media marketing. In fact, a good social media consultant understands that original and regularly updated website content is crucial to social media marketing, in fact in my opinion it all begins with the website.
Superior leadership skills
A social media consultant typically does not perform much of the work themselves, instead they design, organize, systematize and guide their staff (contractors) to do the work necessary to run social media campaigns.
A good understanding of marketing metrics
There are many tools that need to be used in order to test whether or not the strategy you’re using is working. You will need to be able to prove to your clients that what you want to do is working and delivering results.
Mulch-channel marketing knowledge
Social media marketing is about using many different channels to get the message out about a business. Learning about different channels, including new ones, will keep you at the cutting edge of social media marketing.
How to Get Started as a Social Media Consultant
If you have some or all of these skills, you can get started by setting up a website to promote your new business. Set a good example of how good your business knowledge is by being an example of what a social media marketing consultant does. Perform social media marketing consulting with your own business first.
- Set up a website – If you can’t do it yourself, hire a professional web designer to set up one for you. Your website is your calling card and a demonstration of how good you are at the job you want to do for others.
- Set up your social media accounts – Once again, your social media accounts are necessary to demonstrate to everyone how great you are at social media consultations. If your accounts and information aren’t top-notch, they won’t realize how much they need you.
- Create awesome social media content – The content you create is essential to your social media presence. Create, or have created, content for your social media accounts that get you noticed by the people you want to hire you.
- Develop great images that go with content – Locate or have created images that go with the social media content that will enhance your message. Today, people are very visual and will be more likely to contact you for business if your message is clear.
- Find an internship or education – You’ll need experience, and sometimes you might have to do some free work or low-cost work to make a name for yourself. Contact local non-profits such as your local chamber of commerce that might want your help with their social media campaigns.
- Gather testimonials from satisfied people – As you work with people as an intern, volunteer or for low fees, collect testimonials to add to your website, social media channels so that you can attract the high value clients you need to make your business work.
You also cannot label yourself as a social media consultant, social media expert if all you understand is Facebook or LinkedIn, you might call yourself a Facebook consultant but a social media consultant implies that you understand all of the social media platforms and that you can help promote your clients across all of these platforms. To easily demonstrate this and get some social media proof of your own, get active on these social media platforms so that your prospective customers can see how many Twitter followers you have, Facebook likes/friends … etc. By doing so you’ll be the social media consultant in high demand.