Search engine optimization is an important part of any content strategy. Search engine optimization, more commonly known as SEO, means using specific keywords in your content that will draw traffic. This increases the chances of your content appearing in search engine results when people type in these keywords.
There are tools you can use to find good keywords. The most popular is the Google AdWords Keyword Tool, which is free to use. You can enter keywords that are related to your topic and the tool will tell you how many searches your keywords get. It will also suggest other keywords to use. Other programs are more detailed but cost money.
How to Use Keywords
There is no exact guideline on how much to use your chosen keywords. If possible, you should use the keyword in the title, headings and first paragraph of your content. The idea is to use the keywords as much as possible while still keeping it natural. Don’t ‘stuff’ your content with keywords or it will be hard to read. Keyword stuffing can also get your site penalized by the search engines.
A Quick Lesson in SEO
When writing a blog post, you should aim to do the following
- Select an appropriate keyword phrase
- Write your blog title to include your SEO phrase
- Include your keyword phrase in the introduction of your article
- Include your keyword phrase in the conclusion of your article
- Try to bold the keyword phrase if possible.
- Include an image with your blog post and use your keyword phrase as the image alt tag.
- Write your blog post for your audience however try to include your keyword phrase within your article, if you ensure your phrase is not mentioned more than two to three percent of the total word count you should be fine, and you can use WORD to easily count words and total word count.
The above is a very quick lesson is writing an article for SEO purposes, if your website has been setup correctly this is all you need do within your website to achieve a good search engine ranking.
SEO is Not the Be-All End-All
Although keywords are important for getting your content seen in search engines, it’s not everything. What’s most important is that your content is original, helpful and high-quality and of real interest to your audience. Keywords are only how you attract traffic from search engines, but they don’t affect what that traffic does when it gets to your website.
Because keywords draw search traffic, use them in any content that’s searchable. This includes video descriptions and social media posts and social media profiles, but do remember audience engagement counts for much more, in the world of content marketing.